Feedback Thoughts

     I myself have always been bad at giving others helpful feedback, mostly because of fear of being rude or being unhelpful. In high school, I took a few English classes at OCCC, during which we had to give feedback to our classmates on their papers, and this feedback was a recorded grade. I usually found myself overthinking what I was going to say because I wanted to be helpful and not just shut down everything someone may have spent hours perfecting.

Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback

    When reading this article, it instantly brought me to why I myself hate to leave feedback, because it can often be negative. However, this article points out that it is important to note that it is given with good faith and we should be open and honest when giving negative feedback. I have found that I do tend to avoid negative feedback, but I know that I make mistakes and there is no way they're going to be solved if I don't figure out how exactly the mistake occurred. It's like when I was in high school and some people didn't want to review their tests after they were graded, because they already knew what grade they got. Typically, even if I missed only one problem, I always wanted to see my graded test or assignment so I could figure out where I went wrong and how I could correct myself. Though I cannot say that I followed feedback in the way that we should: to learn new things and improve on ourselves. In school, I wanted feedback because I wanted to be sure that I would get it right next time and get good grades. Good grades were the ultimate pusher for me in K through 12.

A fixed mindset could be holding you back

    Just the first couple sentences of this article really stood out to me, because I know a lot of parents believe that constant praise is the way to raise a happy kid. In childhood, I experienced both praise and admonishments, but definitely more of the praise, so the first couple of times I encountered failure as a child, I broke down into tears. The growth mindset comes back into play in this article, reminding us that we are capable of much more, but we just need to put our efforts into it. The bit about being a doctor seems really helpful because I'm sure the nation has missed out on many great doctors due to the fixed mindset pushed upon them. Instead of being told to quit when they first make a mistake, they should be worked with, because they have obviously gotten this far, so they definitely have the potential.



I think a key to giving important feedback is not just saying that something needs to be changed or is wrong, but instead providing suggestions that can be used at the discretion of the original author.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me, A Socially Anxious Future Doctor

Comment Wall for Here Come the Floods

Story Lab: Microfiction