Feedback Strategies Week 3

 

    The feedback gallery was way more useful than I honestly expected it was going to be, as it lays out some clear examples on how to successfully give feedback. I have always been assigned assignments in which I had to give feedback to other students, but before this course, I had never been taught just how to give feedback. Suggesting ways to expand the story as well as asking questions about the content of the story seem like really good strategies to me, because they really get the writer to think about their writing more in-depth.



How to Give Bad Feedback Without Being a Jerk

    Like the feedback gallery, this article gives a lot of good methods for feedback, especially when that feedback is more on the negative side. Explaining your viewpoint and how you yourself have benefitted from feedback is something that I think would be really helpful to me if someone were giving me feedback. The compliment sandwich, as the article also mentions, has always been one of my least favorite feedback techniques, as the praise usually feels like it's there to compensate for the negative feedback, which the article also says.

Be a Mirror

    This article seems to be more targeted at feedback for children, but it is obviously still applicable for adults. Giving purely negative feedback can be detrimental, but pointing out what was done well along with what could be improved is a reliable strategy. The mirror reflects back on what you did right, and if you know you did a good deal right, then you'll be more open to knowing the few things you did wrong.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to Me, A Socially Anxious Future Doctor

Comment Wall for Here Come the Floods

Story Lab: Microfiction